Saturday, April 30, 2011

Accepting The Facts

Everyone has read "that" blog - the one where the blogger goes on a long rant about some real or perceived character flaw or facet, on and on andonandon... and then ends the post one of two ways: they either 1) declare "That's just the way I am!" and thus stubbornly refuses to initiate any sort of change, or 2) renews her determination to change at whatever cost neccessary, including her marriage (if married), her children (if she has any), or her sanity.

I think both approaches are wrong. I think that if you see a flaw in yourself, and make no move towards fixing it or improving it, you're cheating yourself out of becoming a person you'll like better, and that marvelous experience of growth. Growth is sometimes painful, sometimes uncomfortable, but the end result is always worth it. Conversely, I think that if you spend your life wrapped up in your perceived flaws, you're cheating yourself out of seeing yourself as God sees you - as His creation. Flawed? Yes! Precious? Priceless? Being made Perfect in Him? Yes Yes YES!

I've realized lately that part of the learning you get when you grow up is learning what to accept and what to leave. What matters and what doesn't. What you CAN change - and should - and what you can't, and will only break yourself against in the trying.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

THAT was an excellend post. Thank you for posting - I fall too much into the "discouragement" catagory, and like you said - cheat myself into not seeing myself as God sees me. Altho, I guess if I REALLY saw myself and my sin the way God sees me, it would be too much for me to handle...anyways. Thanks for sharing! Glad I stumbled across this while scrolling through the True Femininity blogroll.
Grace and peace, Kellie (nothing lessthanbread.blogspot.com)