Thursday, August 30, 2012

What's For Dinner Wednesday

I have a confession to make: we had company twice this week, and I was responsible for both nights, so I totally made Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches again. I am in love with this recipe - I totally was running late, didn't have time to sear the roast or deglaze the pan or anything, and basically threw all the ingredients in the crockpot together for about four hours. It still came out perfectly - I could tell the difference, but it still made a very company worthy dinner.

So I had all this lovely au jus left over, and I figured I'd take the leftover meat, add it to the broth, add some veggies and top with mashed potatoes, and call it a day. Unfortunately, my family ravaged the roast, and I barely had any meat left (lol!). So I altered my idea a little bit.

This isn't really a recipe, since I wasn't taking measurements, but it should give you a pretty good idea of what I did.

Pour the au jus and any leftover shredded meat and onions into the crockpot. I didn't really have any leftover meat, so I added 2 pounds of ground beef. I added one big bag of "soup veggie" mix (peas, diced carrots, and corn) and a good sprinkling of Trader Joe's "21 Seasoning Salute", turned it on low, and left.

When I got home, I poured out all the broth and juices from the crockpot, thickened them with cornstarch, and poured the resulting gravy back over the meat/veggie mixture. I mixed up a batch of mashed potatoes (instant... :( real would have been SO much better) and spread it over the top.

When you scoop the pie out onto a plate, the veggie and meat mixture ends up on top of the mashed potatoes, all covered in a nice gravy. :) Not the most visually stunning meal, but yummy and filling and easy.

Next week I'll be making chili and cornbread (or possibly corn fritters - I haven't decided yet)!

No comments: