Saturday, September 28, 2013

#23: Crochet Something

Well, my bucket list is getting knocked out pretty quickly this year. With the coming of cooler weather, my thoughts always turn to snuggly yarn and what I can crochet with it. A couple of weeks ago I started working on a beautiful ripply afghan in fall colors - orange, mustard, cranberry, olive, and espresso. While the pattern is pretty easy, it's also a big afghan, so it looks like by the time I finish it, it should really be done in Christmas (or maybe even spring!) colors. Not that I'm giving up! But in the meantime, I wanted a quick project that I could actually finish. And, because I started being a coffee fanatic again as soon as the cooler weather hit, what better project than a cute coffee cozy?

The first one I made for myself, and it looked so cute and took up so little material that I pulled out all my yarn "remnants" and whipped up a few more. I can do one in fifteen minutes, it costs pennies worth of yarn (since it really only requires a tiny bit), and I managed to score some buttons on sale at Joanns for twenty-five cents a pack. :) I sent the four that I had finished with Anna to the craft fair up the street and she sold two of them for me at $3 apiece! I'll definitely be making more to sell!

If you'd like to make one for yourself, here's the pattern for free. Because I'm sweet like that. You can thank me in coffee. ;)


Skill level: Quick and Easy, Beginner
Materials:
Small amount of yarn - you can use various weights for different effects; sport weight yarn will turn out a sleeker, more refined look, while heavier weight yarns will create a chunky, country look
Size "I" crochet hook
2-4 buttons
Large needle and matching thread

Chain 16; turn.
Row 1: SC in second chain from hook, and in each st across (15 sc). Turn.
Repeat 29 times, or until cozy just wraps around mug or cup (the ends should just meet, but not overlap, and the cozy should fit snugly - it will loosen as you use it).
Row 31: Chain 4 (counts as first TR); turn. TR in each stitch across (15 TR).

Finishing: Weave in ends. Sew buttons evenly on the end of the cozy opposite the TR (the TR stitches are your buttonholes). Wrap your cozy around your favorite beverage and enjoy! :)

No comments: