Thursday, May 15, 2014

#FirstWorldProblems

Y'all, my phone  - my practically new phone - my smartphone - my Internet connection/phonebook/calendar/PDA - broke this week. I'm thinking it's the charging part, because if I pop the battery out and charge it using somebody else's phone, then pop it back in, presto! I have a working phone again. But it won't charge using a cord unless I'm willing to spend a lot of time performing strange gymnastics to get/keep the connection at just the right angle, and probably hold it there myself. :(


I hate to be one of those people who whines about how lost they feel without their cell phone, but I will admit to feeling a little bit of panic when I realized that  the possibility of ending up without a phone for a few days was a very real possibility. Not only is it a "security blanket" in a very real sense (after all, knowing that if I break down on the road late at night, or hear a disturbing noise in the middle of the night, or whatever, I can call for backup), but it's also my main connection to the people in my life. At night, right before I go to sleep, I love to scroll through my Facebook feed and see how my BFF, my mom, my close friends spent their day. What made them stop and think. What beautiful things they saw. And when I'm waiting in line or need a 5 minute vacation, I love to read my favorite blogs and grab some inspiration.

And, of course, from a strictly practical viewpoint, I kinda need my phone for work. I had a job last night and I couldn't get my phone working til almost an hour before I had to leave, and I was panicking all day hoping that the mom wasn't trying to get in touch with me.

Thankfully - and truly, I am sososo thankful for this! - the same model phone is on sale at Wal-Mart.com and comes with a free month of service, so the replacement will only cost me about $10 and arrive by Wednesday. In the meantime, I'm praying I can continue to keep it running until it gets here. :)

No comments: