Sunday, February 5, 2012

What's Going On

I have no good ideas for blog posts lately, so here's a bit of this-and-that.

Maggie and I went out to audition for
Into The Woods last Monday. We both did well, though Maggie was grossly more prepared than I (having gotten to do her first musical over the summer). I got a callback for this Saturday and had a ton of fun (though I don't think I'll get a part - at least, not the part I was originally reading for!). The amazing thing was that after auditioning, I am more determined than ever to go see it, because the people I was auditioning with were amazing. They could sing. They could act. This is going to sound dreadfully conceited, but I can outsing most people in my life, so being surrounded by people who could outsing me was kind of fun. :)

I found a new craft blog! I was bemoaning to a friend today that a lot of my "crafty" blogs have gotten a little big for their britches. They're using equipment or supplies that cost an arm and a leg (I'm guessing since many companies are now providing their products for review) or they've simple devolved into "giveaway of the week" blogs. She tipped me off to
Little Birdie Secrets, and I am in love. I think I'm going to modify their Valentine's Day framed art into cards and use them this year. So cute!

I am still schooling the three youngest kids. Some days are going better, and some days I want to tear my hair out. Half of the problems we deal with are mine (I need to be better organized, present more often, and stay on top of things a lot better), and half of them are theirs (they need to actually do the work, stay on course, communicate). One of these days I'm going to do a post on our "system" (ha! Like we have a system lol) so if you have any questions you want answered, ask now. :)

I took everything out of my closet on Thursday night with the intent of reorganizing it, and it became complete and utter chaos. My closet CAN'T be too small - it's a walk in, for goodness sake! - so I think I just need to organize better. I'll post before/after picts when I finally get it figured out.


Oh, and on a related note: right after Christmas I moved all my furniture around to make it more child-friendly for when my BFF and son came to visit. Last week I finally got it all moved back... only to discover I think I like it better the other way. Go figure.

And finally, the most amazing recipe for Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Muffins, because I've joined a new Sunday school class at church (we finally have a college/career class! Hooray!) and of course I have to bake for it. :)

(modified from a recipe that was
modified from a recipe lol).


Cream Cheese Coffee Cake Muffins

Filling/topping:

3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar

2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter


Cake:

4 large eggs

6 oz cream cheese

3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon salt

12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened but still cool, cut into 1-inch cubes

Directions:
Adjust the oven rack to the lowest position and heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Filling/topping:

Combine ingredients in a food processor and pulse several times until the mixture forms "crumbs" OR blend with a pastry cutter.

Cake:

In a small bowl, blend the cream cheese and heavy whipping cream. Add eggs and vanilla; set aside. In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt at low speed, about 30 seconds. Add the butter and mix at low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Add egg mixture. Increase to medium speed and beat 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 1 minute (the batter should increase in volume and become aerated and pale in color).
Grease muffin tins or line with baking cups. Place 1 TBS batter in bottom of each cup and sprinkle with a scant TBS of filling/topping. Cover with 1 TBS batter, and top with filling/topping. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the cake bounces back to the touch and a toothpick comes inserted into the center comes out clean. :)

No comments: