Wednesday, November 7, 2012

What's For Dinner Wednesday: Chicken Enchiladas

I was looking for something new to make this week, something less crockpot-dependent (although, hah, I ended up using my crockpot anyway to cook the chicken!). I finally settled on making chicken enchiladas with rice, beans, guac, and pico de gallo.

Results: Amazing. We obviously didn't top the whole dish with cheese (like it should properly be, lol) and I didn't even miss it because the whole meal was sooo good.

Here's how I made it:

At 10:30 AM, I dumped three packages of boneless, skinless chicken breast and a couple of small cans of diced chilies in the crockpot on high, and poured a big can of enchilada sauce over it.

When I got home at 4:30, I scooped all the chicken out of the pot with a slotted spoon, cooled it slightly, and shredded it (it was so tender by then that it just fell apart). I added 2 cups of rice to the liquid in the crockpot, stirred it, and turned it down to low.

I opened another big can of enchilada sauce, poured a little on the bottom of two 9X13 pans, added most of the rest of it to the shredded chicken, and reserved a little to top it with. I wrapped the shredded chicken in flour tortillas and placed them in the pan, topping with the remaining enchilada sauce.

I served this dish at 6:30 PM with refried beans (from a can), my rice (which turned out FAB!), homemade pico de gallo, and homemade guacamole. :) The family loved it and I enjoyed the break from the usual crockpot fare.

No comments: