Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What's For Dinner Wednesday

It's been a long time since I've cooked on Wednesday! And I didn't think I was going to be cooking tonight, since I'm supposed to be at the beach eating crab and sticking my feet in the sand. However, a friend's mom passed away early Monday morning :( so Maggie and I postponed our trip so we could be at the funeral to support her.

Since I'm home, I'm cooking! Tonight we're making my version of Cabbage Stew, which I promise is a lot better than it sounds! :) I found this recipe idea on the blog Celebrating Life, which is one of my favorite places to go for a pick-me-up. :) The original recipe calls for 1 head of cabbage and 1 onion, chopped, along with 2 cups tomato sauce and 2 cups V8 tomato juice, to be cooked in the crockpot on high for 4 hours.

Well, that sounded like a great idea, but a little - no offense, I swear! - boring. :) A few months ago I decided to try it with my own twist, and the family liked it enough that they said it was a "repeat."

Here's my version:

Asian Cabbage Stew

1 head of cabbage, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 48 oz bottle of V8 tomato juice
1/4-1/2 cup soy sauce (to taste)
2 TBS toasted sesame oil
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBS powdered ginger
Salt & pepper, to taste

Throw everything in the crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours (I prefer low and slow, but in a pinch 4 hours works too!). Serve over rice.

Yummy, filling, cheap, and vegetarian! :) What are you making for dinner tonight?

No comments: