Wednesday, October 31, 2012

What's For Dinner Wednesday

Sandy brought more than wind and rain; overnight, it seems like the weather has changed. Cold up to now has been more of a novelty, but today when I went outside at 6 AM I honestly felt like I was going to freeze. Tonight I pulled out my favorite fleecy gloves and a scarf, and my outfit for tomorrow includes leggings, boots, and sweater, cuz while I love the cold weather, I don't actually like being cold! :)

The sudden cold has confirmed what I've already been sensing: Autumn is almost over. I don't care what the calendar says - for me, "winter" starts the moment I start needing extra clothing to go outside. I've been adding things to my Winter bucket list for a few weeks now, and I'm thisclose to posting it. There are about a dozen things left on my Fall bucket list still undone, but whatever - that just gives me something to look forward to next year! :)

Tonight I celebrated the last vestiges of Fall by making yummy cold-weather food: barbecued beef sammies that were a total flop (which may have been because our crockpot is so old, the settings labels are worn off, so Liz had it on "warm" most of the day instead of "low" - grr! Gonna work some more on that and get back to you), but followed by the most amazing, incredible, vegan pumpkin-chocolate pie. And it couldn't be easier. I rule. :)

Marvelous Pumpkin-Chocolate Pie (Vegan)
Serves 8
Ingredients:
1 package Mimicreme
1 package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 package instant pumpkin pudding mix (or substitute cherry, peppermint, etc - I can't wait to try mixing up some fun combos!)
1 pie crust (either off the shelf, or your favorite recipe)

1. Place package of Mimicreme in mixer bowl with whisk attachment and put the whole bowl in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
2. Open packages of pudding mix and mix with a whisk.
3. When bowl, whisk, and Mimicreme are thoroughly chilled, squeeze Mimicreme into mixer bowl and beat with whisk attachment on high for 3 minutes (or until light and fluffy). Turn mixer to "low" and add the pudding mix by the 1/4 cupfuls until thoroughly mixed, pausing to scrape sides of bowl.
4. Turn pie filling out in to piecrust, and refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with additional Mimicreme or a dusting of cocoa powder, if desired. :)

Enjoy!

No comments: