Sunday, January 4, 2015

Welcome, 2015!

So far, it's been a great year! ;) Tomorrow, school starts up again and most folks go back to a normal schedule, but I'm still well into "vacation mode". And I still have another full week to go before life goes back to normal! Truthfully, I'm looking forward to it - I miss swim like crazy and I can't wait to see the triplets again - but I'm incredibly thankful for the downtime after such a crazy, hectic year. :)
 

I put up my first tree this year! I was too broke to buy one, even a $20 one, in time for Christmas last year, but I did manage to score this 3' prelit one for only $5 a couple of weeks after Christmas. This year I put it up the day before Thanksgiving and thoroughly enjoyed it; I spent many hours in the past few months sitting in its glow, drinking tea and just relaxing. In fact, I'm thinking I need a lamp or something for my kitchen table now to replace my harsh overhead lights.

Towards the end of October, when I was really struggling with depression and just the thought of doing any Christmas shopping was completely overwhelming, I decided to give my family a "getaway" for Christmas instead of buying individual gifts, and I reserved several rooms at a local hotel for New Year's Eve. My dad ended up buying another night, so we got to spend two nights in a lovely hotel with a hot tub, pool, and wifi. :) We had a lovely time, and I'm already thinking about making it a yearly tradition.

Since getting home, I've been working on my resolution to declutter and reorganize the trailer. So far I'm plowing ahead and not letting myself get discouraged, reminding myself that it's going to get worse (lots of stuff piled around waiting for a permanent "home" that's still getting cleaned) before it gets better. My goal is to take one garbage bag to the thrift store or dump every day. So far I'm on track!


Last month I pulled up to rehearsal one night, turned off my headlights, and the knob came off in my hand! :( My dad brought me a pair of pliers and ever since then I've been using them to turn the headlights on and off, waiting until my dad had some spare time to replace the switch.

Well... last night when I was coming home, the headlights wouldn't come on. It was still light out, so I managed to make it home, but this afternoon Dad graciously tore the dash apart and installed a new headlight switch. This required drilling some holes in the trim and installing new screws, since the part the switch was supposed to be affixed to had broken off. I stood around trying to be calm and listening to Jack Ingram to keep from freaking out that my dashboard was in pieces, but in the end everything went back where it had been - we didn't even have any screws left over! ;) - and I now have a functional headlight switch.

Earlier this week, Dad also spent quite awhile putting in a new fuel filter, air filter, windshield wipers, oil change, etc for me, and the truck is now running TONS better than it was! I'm really excited about this, as it kind of sounded like it was near death before lol.

No comments: