Saturday, February 12, 2011

Winter Fun!

I'm finally getting the pictures up from my ice-skating outing with Ruth. Sorry it took so long - I was already feeling bad by the time we got home that night, and I've been playing catch-up with life ever since.

We took the metro in to Chinatown and walked the last few blocks to the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden. In warm months, this is a great place to explore and hang out, and the skating rink is a beautiful fountain and pool. This is the first time I've been here in the winter, and I have to say it's just as fun!


Ruth had been skating once before, around age five, and I hadn't touched the ice since 1999, the year after Tara Lipinski took gold at the Nagano Olympics. I was a little worried that I'd have forgotten everything I once knew, but I was surprised that I had no problems at all. I was able to skate, twirl, skate backwards, on one foot, etc. I'd forgotten how much fun it is! It feels like flying!

Ruth took just a little longer to get comfortable on the ice, so she spent a bit of time using the railings for support.

It didn't take her very long to get comfortable, though!

About an hour in, the Zamboni went around, forcing us all off the ice for a break. While we were waiting, the rink instructor went around telling everyone about the drop-in lesson rates; Ruth was really interested, so I went ahead and bought her a lesson. She loved the instructor, Alice, and the lesson really helped her find her feet. By the end of the lesson she was much more confident on the ice!
When Alice found out that we were celebrating Ruth's birthday, she gave her a present - this adorable little zipper pull in the shape of a skate. :)


We were pretty tired out after our exercise, so we walked back to Chinatown, had dinner at Chop't, and then got back on the metro to go home. :)

No comments: