Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Goodbye, Summer. See You Next Year - Don't Rush!

Today is August 31st. Technically, the last day of summer is not until September 21st... but for me, fall starts when August ends. It may not be any cooler. It may not be the start of school. But when September 1st rolls around, I think to myself, "I made it! I survived! Now - on to fall!"

I think it's partly because by now, we're in the swing of the school routine. Sweaters and coats are showing up in stores and I begin to shop for the perfect new sweater to celebrate Sweater Day (the first day when it's cool enough to justify wearing a sweater. Yes, I celebrate this day as my own personal holiday). I can start thinking about the holidays - yes, I start thinking about the holidays early. :) I start thinking about cool mornings, bundling up in scarves and coats on my way to work, stopping to get steaming coffee. Late nights bundled up in sweats with hot chocolate, stargazing. Long walks with Abigail through crunchy leaves. Walking around the county fair with Maggie.

Summer is just about over, so I'll go ahead and admit it - I hate summer. I live for fall and winter.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon going through my closet and clothes storage. I've realized recently that I can't see the back of the closet, but I still have trouble finding clothes to wear. As I was sorting through my clothes, I realized it was because apparently I never put away most of my cold weather clothes. Duh! I went ahead and put them away because as much as I'd like to believe that lined jacket weather is just around the corner, common sense tells me that sweaters would make better transitional pieces. On the other hand, my tanks are about to get retired. I'm getting one last wear out of my favorite studded black tank, and then the tanks are all getting washed and put up (except for maybe two that would work nicely over a long-sleeved T or under said sweaters).

I think getting that done made me even more anxious for fall; I realize that I have several times as many cold-weather clothes as I do warm-weather clothes, and they're pieces I love. I found two brightly-colored sweaters I bought on clearance this spring for a few dollars apiece and haven't gotten to wear yet, one in bright raspberry and one in bright cobalt. Can't wait to pair them up with some other brightly-colored layered tanks!

Another thing I miss - long necklaces. I don't know why, but somehow I never end up wearing jewelery half as much in the summer as I do in the winter. My best friend bought me a beautiful black pendant for my birthday, and my aunt and uncle gave me a gorgeous seafoam-green cut glass and bead necklace, and I'm looking forward to wearing both of them.

And jackets! Don't even get me started! I love my jackets! I was drooling yesterday as I was packing them away. Jackets, coats, blazers, etc - I can't wait to get to wear them again. A jacket and a scarf is one of my favorite things to wear on a cool fall morning.

And, of course, boots. I have two pairs right now, but I have my eye on a few new pairs already. I discovered boots last winter and am totally hooked.

So, I totally didn't mean for this to become a fall fashion post, but as you can see, it's big on my mind right now. What's on your fall wishlist?

No comments: