Saturday, September 4, 2010

Just-What-I-Wanted Pear Cobbler

I don't know why, but I'm craving fruit cobbles lately... last night I made a peach cobbler that I thought was only for me, but everyone else kept coming around asking, "What are you making? Oooh! Can I have some?" so by the time it came out of the oven, we all got a tiny scoop and that was it. :) I bought more peaches today, but my eye was caught by these luscious, soft-but-not-mushy pears whose fragrance could be smelled all over the produce section.
I think I'm getting good at making cobbler... apparently it's easier to make than aioli!
This is my "recipe":

I peeled and sliced thin 8 pears (I'm not sure what kind I used, I think they were Bradford?) and dumped them into a 9"X11" glass baking dish; I threw in 1/2 cup flour, 2 tablespoons white sugar, and 2 tablespoons melted butter and mixed them up together, then spread it out evenly in the pan. In another bowl, I mixed 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup oats, and 1/2 cup slivered almonds (and I crunched them up even smaller as I added them), a teaspoon of cinnamon, a tiny sprinkle of nutmet, and 1/2 stick of melted butter. I blended this up until it formed a crumb-like consistency and spread it over the top of the cobbler.

I put it into the oven for about 20 minutes - the crust was brown and crunchy (but not hard), the pears tender, and the juice bubbling and thick. I love the nuts!

If it wasn't so good on its own, I would have added a small dollop of my Haagen-Daz limited edition Honey Vanilla ice cream.

It's been beautifully cool today, with thin lazy clouds that seem to be clearing. I'm looking forward to doing some stargazing in a few hours!

No comments: