Friday, October 8, 2010

It's The Little Things (Apparently)

I SWORE I was not going to turn this into a weight-loss bloss, but I also said, and I quote, "...this blog is about what's going on in my life, and this is what's going on in my life right now!" So... all ye skinny people, feel free to skip this post. :)

This week has been a little weird, because although I've followed the plan without any slipups, and even started exercising this week, I haven't been able to make the scale budge this week. Last week I lost less than half a pound, but I was willing to write it off to hormones, etc, since I hadn't done anything differently. This week, not so much. If I'm doing everything right, then why won't the thing budge? And I can really see why people get wrapped around the axle over the number on the scale. Because if you're doing everything you're supposed to be doing, and it's not working, it does feel kind of discouraging/hopeless. :(

I kind of had a mental regrouping. I realized that I'm really not in control of losing weight - I'm only in control of what I eat. My goal is to stay on-plan, not to lose X amount of pounds.

Once I "reconfigured" my thought process, I suddenly noticed a bunch of small encouraging signs. This week, everything seems to fit better, or worse - everything that was just a little too snug last week looks awesome now, and everything that fit great last week feels a bit baggy. I wore a khakki skirt last night, and I distinctly remember considering throwing it out recently, because it felt so snug around my hips/waist, and last night I felt ridiculous pulling it up constantly.

Maggie and I went shopping last night, and I found a dress I absolutely loved, but they only had one size smaller than I normally wear. I don't even know what made me take it to the dressing room, since I don't really feel like I've lost a full size yet, but I did, and it looks great. I totally bought it (I know, I know, I said I wouldn't shop for clothes yet, but I think it'll make a great "transition" piece since it's a dress and I can just keep cinching in the waist). Then I found a skirt in the size I normally wear, and it was obviously too big. So that was encouraging.

But I really wanted to have a loss - even a small loss - just to take me under that magical ten pound mark. And it just didn't look like it was happening.

So this morning I got up, went to the scale anticipating a slight gain since Maggie and I went out last night and absolutely stuffed ourselves silly with seafood, and lo and behold... suddenly I was 1/2 pound lighter. Go figure. Anyway, I'm just thrilled to have lost something and to finally have crossed the ten pounds mark. Which is pretty exciting in and of itself.

I figured today would be a good day to mix it up and do some non-walking exercise (I've walked three times this week, either by myself or with various family members) so I went downstairs and powered up the Wii Fit. And there was another positive sign!

So all in all, I'm happy. Obviously I would love to just be shedding pounds left and right, but as another blogger recently pointed out, if you remove only half a pound per week, that's 26 pounds per year - at least one dress size, a bra size, a few years added to your life. So I'll take it.
In other news... if anyone wants to meet to walk laps, etc, let me know! :)

No comments: