Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fall-ish Things

It seems like EVERY BLOGGER I KNOW has done a "Fall projects" post -Valencia over at Buildeth Her House is doing some cheap/free decorating, Jenny at The Whole Jenny discovered the joys of dollar-store decorating (gotta love Dollar General!), and (my personal fav), the True Femininity blog just shared how the house is shaping up for fall.

Pretty much all I've done for fall has been to comment on how much I love it, lol. But yesterday I went back to my cold-weather hobby - crocheting! I've kind of accepted that crocheting is something I only do in the cold with freezing fingers. :) I just never feel the urge to whip something up in the summer!

I don't know how it came up, but somehow it was decided that I would crochet Khy a hat. At first I was going to use the same "pattern" I used last year to make myself a winter cap, and then I figured, why not use an actual pattern? So I headed over to Crochet Pattern Central and began looking through patterns. Whatever I made had to be easy (since my pattern-reading skills are really low, lol), but look adorable. :) There were tons of cute hat patterns, but I really flipped when I found this one. ADORABLE, and the pattern seemed easy to read. Best of all, it called for two contrasting colors, but I already had this yarn in Seaside that I knew would create a nice pattern all by itself, so I wouldn't have to join any colors!
The pattern picture. I can't believe now that I thought this was so cute when I think my finished hat is so much cuter, lol! But then again, I guess I'm biased.
The pattern was super-easy to read... I had to read a couple of parts out loud a few times but that isn't really unusual for me when reading crochet patterns, and I didn't have to rip out any stitches on the first one (I did on the second one, but that was because I was trying to watch a movie with Maggie and crochet at the same time, and I was distracted, lol).
The first had was done in about an hour, and I was pleased.

This is the pattern, followed to the letter of the instructions with the proper size of needle and thread and everything. To be honest, it looked a little large to me even though the baby model in the picture looked even younger than Khy. My family laughed at me and said they thought it was designed more for Abigail. While Robin insisted that she liked bigger hats (I love my BFF!), I decided to try again. This time I used a size smaller needle and also made some slight alterations to the pattern - I followed the pattern exactly for everything up to the earflaps, but instead of creating the ties the way the pattern showed, I edged only the back (you can't really tell anyway, lol) with two strands of yarn that also became the ties.
I love it! It just seemed to be calling out for a little pompom on the top, and I had just enough yarn left over. :)

My final product on my squash model. :)

All in all, I'm pleased and Robin loves the photos she's seen. My little hat is going into the mail on Monday and hopefully I will get some pictures of Khy wearing it as a thank-you (hint, hint). :)


I can tell that this is only the beginning of my crocheting adventures for the season, lol.

Maggie and I had a great day yesterday - we went to the park in town and used their 1/2-mile track for walking laps. I have definitely been majorly slacking on the exercise front, lol, so it felt good to get out and go!

No comments: